McLean Foyer of Meditation
The beautiful McLean Foyer of Meditation in the Armstrong Browning Library is a popular and elegant setting for weddings. We wish to assist you in making your very special event as lovely as its physical surroundings. In return, we ask that you help us protect the building's facilities and treasures.
Armstrong Browning Library
One Bear Place #97152
Waco, Texas 76798-7152
Physical Address: 710 Speight Avenue, Waco, Texas
Library fax number: 254.710.3552
Please carefully review the following policies as you consider the Armstrong Browning Library & Museum as a potential wedding venue.
To reserve the McLean Foyer of Meditation, the bride and/or groom must be a:
- Currently enrolled student at Baylor University
- Baylor graduate or child of a Baylor graduate
- Current Baylor employee or child of employee
- Library Patron or child of library patron
- This designation requires a donation of $10,000 or more to the Libraries. Contact Jennifer Borderud, Director of Armstrong Browning Library & Museum, to become a library patron.
Scheduling a Wedding
- To schedule a wedding or to ask specific questions, please contact Rachel Bates at (254) 710-4964 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Request a Wedding Application Form in person, by telephone, or by e-mail.
- Return the Wedding Application Form within 10 days from date received and pay the Wedding Fee ($2,000.00 (plus tax)) by credit card, cash, or check made payable to: ABL Guardian Angel Fund. if paying by credit card, a link will be provided to you by the event manager so that you can pay online.
- When your wedding event has been confirmed a Tenant User Liability Insurance Policy (or TULIP) is required by our library. The policy must cover the rehearsal and the ceremony dates and can be obtained online or through your own insurance provider. Baylor University must be listed as an additional insured. This policy will require a separate payment by you. Proof of the policy must be received at least thirty (30) days prior to the event.
- After your date has been confirmed, schedule a meeting and walk-through with our staff to discuss the possibilities and limitations of the facilities. Set ups must be prearranged as part of the wedding reservation. You may bring a family member and/or wedding coordinator to the meeting.
- Special Note: Two weeks prior to the wedding, the bride-elect and/or the wedding consultant must call or see Ms. Bates or the designated representative to discuss all aspects of final preparations. After this time, extensive and time-consuming changes will not be considered.
- Only one wedding is scheduled during any month and only on a Saturday. The wedding can begin anytime between 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Should there be several requests for the same month preference will be given to the first application received.
- Rehearsals and weddings will not be scheduled on University holidays or on any day when the University is officially closed.
- Wedding receptions are not held in or outside of the Armstrong Browning Library at any time.
- Seating capacity for the McLean Foyer of Meditation is 200 people. 140 chairs maximum (depending on setup) and 60 seated on cushioned benches. The Foyer cannot accommodate 200 chairs. All events must adhere to these capacity limits per City Fire Codes.
- Reservations may be requested no earlier than nine months in advance of the wedding month. Reservations may be requested no later than three months in advance, corresponding to the wedding date in the month.
- The wedding fee is $2,000.00 (plus tax) for five hours total building access. We accept credit cards, check or cash. Please make checks payable to the ABL Guardian Angel Fund.
- This fee covers rental of the space, ABL staffing fee, chair rental and set up of chairs.
- A Tenant User Liability Insurance Policy (or TULIP) is required by our library. This can be obtained online (Tenant User Liability Insurance Policy (campusconnexions.com)) or through your own insurance provider. Baylor University must be listed as an additional insured. This policy will require a separate payment by you. If you have specific questions about insurance please contact: Jamie Gibson, Baylor University Risk Services, 254-710-4586 or email@example.com
- Cancellation Policy: You have up to ninety (90) calendar days before the event date to cancel your reservation and receive a full refund. After 90 days, the wedding fee becomes non-refundable. The Armstrong Browning Library reserves the right to cancel your event for non-compliance with the Wedding Policies at any point of reservation.
- Neither you nor Baylor University (each called a “Party” hereafter) will incur any liability to the other if its performance or use of the services is prevented, hindered, or delayed by causes beyond its reasonable control and without its fault or negligence. Causes beyond a Party's control may include, but are not limited to, acts of God, war, terrorist events, government authority, national or regional emergencies, manmade or natural disasters, extreme weather events, or epidemics and pandemics, or circumstances which make it impractical for either Party to perform their obligations during the pertinent dates. Upon invocation of this clause, payments previously made by one Party to the other will be refunded in full up to the amount of services received.
- Additional fees that may apply
- Exceeded hour fee ($200 per hour)
- Security Fee (Optional, $50 per hour through the Baylor Department of Public Safety)
Rehearsal and Wedding Time Allotments
- The Wedding Fee pays for a total of five hours for rehearsal and wedding. Note: Wedding photographs must be completed within this five-hour period.
- Rehearsals are scheduled no earlier than 5:00 p.m. and no later than 6:00 p.m. on the Friday evening prior to the wedding.
- The rehearsal is allotted 1-1.5 hours, including arrival and departure. (e.g., if the rehearsal begins at 6:00 p.m. the building must be vacated by 7:30 p.m.)
- The building will not be opened prior to a time agreed upon in advance.
- The wedding is allotted 3.5-4 hours (depending on the amount of time used for the rehearsal), including arrival, pre-wedding activities, the ceremony, photographs, and departure.
- No lighted candles, including unity candles, are permitted in the Library by order of the Fire Marshal.
- Smoking and alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the building or on the grounds.
- Food and soft drinks for the wedding party prior to the ceremony are permitted only in the Cox Reception Hall and the kitchen on the first floor.
- No recorded music is permitted. A grand piano is located in the Foyer of Meditation. Consult with our staff about live music options.
- The use of glitter, confetti, rice, and sparklers is prohibited.
- Your event may not exceed the Maximum Number of Participants per the building fire code regulations.
Flowers, Decorations, and Recordings
- The schedule for delivery, placement, and removal of flowers and other decorations must be reported to our staff no later than two weeks prior to the wedding.
- No decorations are to be placed in the Cloister of the Clasped Hands. A kneeling bench may be used. We do not provide one.
- Decorations are not to be attached with tacks, pins, tape, or nails to any of the furniture, walls, or woodwork in the building.
- Unity sand may be used and communion for the bride and groom is allowed. Tables or receptacles are your responsibility, along with any cleanup after the ceremony.
- No flowers may be placed on musical instruments or furnishings (except for the large table with proper protection under the container).
- To avoid damage to the floor, flowers must be placed in water-tight containers. Do not use wet, potted plants.
- The table in the McLean Foyer of Meditation cannot be moved.
- Audio and Video Recording: Extension cords and their placement must be approved beforehand.
- The Library decorates for Christmas during the Thanksgiving holidays. Neither these decorations nor any that the University puts up at any other time may be moved, with the exception of the table decoration in the Foyer of Meditation.
- Groom and Groomsmen
- The men's restroom on the first floor of the building will be available, but men are urged to arrive dressed for the wedding. Groomsmen may gather in the Research Hall (on the second floor) prior to the wedding. (Note: Do not use the Research Hall as an alternate dressing area as security cameras remain "live" in that room.)
- Bride and Bridesmaids
- The Mary Maxwell Armstrong Seminar Room (on the first floor near the women's lounge) is reserved for the use of the bride and bridesmaids. There is a mirror in this space and electrical outlets are plentiful. The women's restroom is also available to the bride. (Note: There are no electrical outlets in the lounge, and female guests will have access to this area.)
- The Armstrong Browning Library is not liable for personal effects that are lost, stolen, or damaged.
- Personal items must be removed from the Library as soon as the wedding ends. The building will be locked as soon as the participants have left for the reception.
Damages and Liability
- The person responsible for the events should check the room upon entry and also immediately after the event to look for items that are broken or for obvious damage.
- Damage to any room, space, furnishings, and/or equipment will result in appropriate charges based on fair market cost of replacement, repair, or additional cleaning.
Parking and Security
- Parking for individuals without a valid Baylor University parking decal is only allowed in designated “Visitor” areas during weekdays between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Weekend or after-hours parking is done on a first-come, first-served basis with the exception of “signed” parking for departments or individuals which is continuously reserved.
- The library will notify the Baylor Police of the date and time of the wedding rehearsal and ceremony. If the wedding party desires to have a representative from the Baylor Police department physically present in the building, that service is available for an additional charge per hour. Please request this service through our staff.
Revised February 16, 2023